Monday, April 4, 2011

Spring, Where Are You??

Woke up to another couple of inches of snow on the ground this morning..
Ah, spring in northern Mn.
Last week I got a chance to do a small loop not far from our house.
Since work sent all 4 of us home at 1pm, (we had been starting at 5 a.m.), only 8 hours a day we were told, nice!!
I figured I'd check how things were melting, and see if I could get the boys on their bikes anytime soon.
Well, at 1st it looked ok, then after about a mile I was pushing the bike about as much as I was riding. There still is about 1' to a 1' 1/2 of snow in the woods. When I got into shady spots the riding was no problem, until I hit the soft sun drenched snow that is. I was able to pedal maybe 30 yards, then it was pushing time.
I'd say we are about 2 to 3 weeks behind where we'd normally be at this time of year. We hadn't had this much snowfall for quite a few years, and in a way it's a good thing.
Even the gravel roads are a mix of mushy oatmeal, and frozen slop.
I do see the forecast is calling for some 50 degree days this coming week. That's good enough to finish the melting on the paved trails, and maybe enough to firm up the gravel roads a bit.
Don't worry boys, (Thomas and Zack), we'll be pushing the pedals before you know it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment